top of page

with overgrown combustible vegetation, or “weeds”, please maintain your lots in a safe manner by removing the potentially dangerous hazard. You can also report areas of concern so we can be sure our code enforcement division follows up with land owners.

Check out information below on how to report concerns as well as some common questions and answers we receive on the City’s Weed Abatement Procedures:


10 Ways to Improve Your Neighborhood

Neighborhood Information

Always Wear a Life Jacket

in the Water

The Parks Department launched the Life Looks Good on You public awareness campaigns to encourage Sacramentans of all ages to wear a life jacket when they wade, swim or boat in the American and Sacramento Rivers.

Cold water, swift currents and under water hazards make the river dangerous, even for strong swimmers. Before you dive in, put on a life vest. If you don’t have one, there are borrowing stations along Sacramento’s waterways and at local fire stations

Life vest borrowing stations on the American River Parkway:
Discovery Park (2 sites) (kids and adults)
Ancil Hoffman Park(kids only)
Howe Avenue river access(kids only)

Paradise Beach (kids only)
Watt Avenue river access (kids only)
River Bend Park (kids only)
Sunrise river access (kids only)

Life Vest Station in the City of Sacramento
Sand Cove (kids only)

Each station offers 8 to 12 life vests in adult and kid sizes and are also available at several Sacramento area fire stations.


For a full list of life vest stations see below or visit

Weed Abatement

Each year, approximately 7,400 property owners (generally vacant property owners, not residential owners) are notified to keep their property clean of weeds, rubbish, refuse and excess dirt.  

The weed abatement standards are required throughout the year, but it is extremely critical that properties be maintained during the high fire months, usually from April through October.

It’s also important to know that weed abatement procedures and timelines enforced by the City are also sensitive to the surrounding wildlife and account for important time periods throughout the year

Residents can assist  by also being proactive in weed abatement.  If you own property

Who is responsible for weed abatement throughout the City?

Individual property owners are responsible for maintenance and weed abatement of their individual parcels. Any parcels not addressed by a property owner are then handled by the City’s Code Enforcement Department.

How do I know if I need to abate my property?

Generally, weed abatement applies to vacant parcels that don’t receive regular maintenance like residential parcels typically receive. But some larger parcels may be noticed to require weed abatement. Property owners will receive a special notice by mail titled “Notice to Destroy Weeds and Remove Rubbish, Refuse and/or Dirt” typically during the last week of February.

When must a noticed property owner abate their parcel by?

Property owners are sent notices informing them they must make arrangements to have their property mowed, disked or sprayed and cleaned up by the 2nd week in April (this year, that deadline was April 15th). This provides people with enough time to mobilize, but try to abate towards the tail end of the spring rain season.

What happens if a property owner doesn’t abate their parcel?

Any property owner who does not comply will be assigned to a City designated contractor for clean-up and abatement. Property owners of lots abated by the City will be billed for all associated costs of abatement plus additional administrative fees. Failure to pay the bill can result in a lien or assessment against the property.


What can residents do if they see a parcel or piece of property with tall weeds after the 2nd week in April?

You can call the City’s 3-1-1 or submit a case using the city’s web app or mobile applications (available for both iPhone and android).

To report concerns on a VACANT LOT only: Call 311; Call (916) 808-5417 or Email:

How long will it take for a parcel to be abated after I report it to the City?

Historically, the northern areas of the City (specifically Natomas) retain water in the ground for usually a bit longer than other parts of the City and tractors can often get stuck. For this reason, abatement crews start addressing the Natomas area around the end of May to the first week of June.

In other parts of the City, mowing begins around April 1st (contingent on weather) and must be completed by July 4th.

 Click link to read more about the City’s weed abatement program online:  LINK 

1.     Know your Neighbors.
Share information about community events, concerns and suspicious activity. Share your contact info with your neighbors to communicate common issues or suspicious activity. Some other ways you can share information are by creating a neighborhood Facebook page or joining Nextdoor.

2.     Report suspicious activity to the police and file police reports. 
It is important to call the police non-emergency number at 916-264-5471 when you notice suspicious activity or following a crime. Click link to file a police report: LINK


3.     Turn on exterior lights at night, set up motion sensing lights if possible. This is helpful in deterring criminals since most of them don’t like to be seen. Keep your front, side and back porch lights lit at night. If possible, try and put your front porch light on a timer to automatically turn on in the evening hours.

4.     Keep your community looking nice. 
This will give notice to a criminal that people in the area care about their neighborhood and are willing to contact the police if there is something going on that might mess it up. You can take a trash bag when you’re out on your daily walks or work with your neighbors on doing a neighborhood clean-up. Report issues of non-working street lights, potholes, overgrown lawns, abandoned cars, vandalism, graffiti, trash and debris that can be seen from the street, etc. to 311. Make a 311 service request by using your 311 mobile app, by website clicking here: 311 website or send an email at 

5.     Lock your doors and windows and set the home alarm even when you are home. Get a home surveillance system if possible.
Don’t make it easy for criminals, keeping your home locked makes it harder for them to gain access. Having it alarmed makes them noticed if they do. Home surveillance systems that are outside can help identify suspicious activities along with other information that would be helpful for the police.

6.     Park vehicles in the garage. 
Be sure you keep the remote control to the garage in a safe place and don’t leave any bags in the car (if you absolutely must, try and leave the bag open so nothing looks concealed).

7.     Lock the door in your garage leading to your house with a dead bolt. 
Many people think if the garage is closed they’re safe; however, trespassers can easily break into the garage and enter your home from inside the garage.

8.     Be sure newspapers and flyers are cleared from your porch while on vacation. This is a simple cautionary measure to help keep trespassers from breaking in. When newspapers and flyers build up, it looks like no one’s been home for a while. Try communicating with your neighbors and ask if they can pick them up while you’re away.

9.     Launch a Neighborhood Watch Group. 
Neighborhood Watch Groups are a great tool for neighbors to get together and communicate what’s going on in the area and receive updates from the Police Department. Neighborhood Watch Groups works best when there are at least 10 households participating. If you’re interested in starting a group, check out the City of Sacramento’s tips for setting up a neighborhood watch group and then call 916-808-0813 to get started. 

10.   Use your resources.

I. District 1 has a Police Resource Center where you can file online police reports with the assistance of a trained volunteer. The resource center is located at 2701 Del Paso Road, Suite 140, Sacramento, ca 95835. Phone Number: 916-419-6431.

II. District 1 has a Parks Liaison, Andrew Favila, who coordinates park clean-ups and assists City staff with immediate repairs in the various parks in our district. Andre can be reached at

III. Finally, the County has useful referral services that operates 24/7. They provide information on employment, training, housing opportunities, financial assistance and more. Simply dial 211 to be transferred to a customer representative. Click here for County website: LINK


bottom of page